Typical household activities can wreak havoc on a roof and attic if proper roof ventilation is not provided:
- In the summer, heat build-up encourages the premature aging and cracking of wood and other roofing materials. Unwanted heat also can transfer back down into living areas - which reduces energy efficiency.
- In cold weather, warm air generated by laundry, showers, dish washing and cooking can linger in the house and cause moisture build-up.
The only way to combat these problems is with a balanced Top of the House® roofing system. That means it’s important to have proper ventilation, plus the appropriate amount of attic insulation to maximize performance.
- Allows outside air to flow naturally upward and out of attic.
- Promotes a cooler, drier attic.
- Helps prevent moisture from becoming trapped in insulation, structural wood, shingles and roof deck.
- Helps prevent rotting, mildew, drywall damage, peeling paint and warped siding.
- Provides year-round performance for consistent ventilation without energy consumption.
In a balanced system, wind blowing over the ridge creates negative pressure that draws the warmer air out of the attic. Replacement air then enters through the undereave or soffit vents, bathes the underside of the roof, and exits at the ridge cap through ridge, roof or gable vents. Even without wind, the natural convection action of rising warm air maintains a continuous air flow along the underside of the roof.
Ultimately, proper ventilation — along with attic insulation — helps maintain a comfortable temperature inside a home, increase energy efficiency, prevent moisture damage and contribute to the longevity of a roof.
Ventilation is an important component of Owens Corning's Total Protection Roofing System™. These Owens Corning ventilation products will help prevent damage and premature aging caused by moisture in the winter and excess heat in the summer.
VentSure® Ridge Vents help provide proper ventilation underneath the roof deck to prevent overheating and moisture buildup.
VentSure® Roof Vents allow hot, moist air to exit the attic to help prevent roof damage and premature aging.
VentSure® Intake Vents promote effective air movement to maximize roof performance.
VentSure® InFlow™ Vent helps reduce heat and moisture buildup in soffit-less, exposed-rafter homes and homes without adequate air intake.
VentSure™ Solar Attic Exhaust Fan helps keep your attic properly ventilated using solar power or electricity.
You can also click here to determine the proper ventilation for your home.